How much luggage am I allowed to bring to Namibia?

Most airlines have baggage size and weight limits and assess charges for transport of baggage that exceeds this allowance. The Peace Corps has its own size and weight limits and will not pay the cost of transport for baggage that exceeds these limits. The authorized baggage allowance is two checked pieces of luggage with combined dimensions of both pieces not to exceed 107 inches (length + width + height) and a carry-on bag with dimensions of no more than 45 inches. Checked baggage should not exceed 80 pounds total with a maximum weight allowance of 50 pounds for any one bag.

Peace Corps Volunteers are not allowed to take pets, weapons, explosives, radio transmitters (shortwave radios are permitted), automobiles, or motorcycles to their overseas assignments. Do not pack flammable materials or liquids such as lighter fluid, cleaning solvents, hair spray, or aerosol containers. This is an important safety precaution.

What is the electric current in Namibia?

It is 220 volts, 50 cycles. You will need a transformer to use American appliances. However, not all Volunteers have electricity at their sites.

How much money should I bring?

Volunteers are expected to live at the same economic level as the people in their community. They are given a settling-in allowance and a monthly living allowance, which should cover their expenses. Often Volunteers wish to bring additional money for vacation travel to other countries. Credit cards and traveler’s checks are preferable to cash. If you choose to bring extra money, bring the amount that will suit your own travel plans and needs. Note that Visa cards can be used to obtain cash at most banks in Namibia, reducing the risk of carrying a lot of cash.

When can I take vacation and have people visit me?

Each Volunteer accrues two vacation days per month of service (excluding training). Leave may not be taken during training, the first three months of service, or the last three months of service, except in conjunction with an authorized emergency leave. Family and friends are welcome to visit you after pre-service training and the first three months of service as long as their stay does not interfere with your work. Extended stays at your site are not encouraged and may require permission from your country director. The Peace Corps is not able to provide your visitors with visa, medical, or travel assistance. Therefore, all visitors should obtain medical evacuation insurance prior to their arrival in Namibia in case of an emergency. This insurance can be obtained online.

Will my belongings be covered by insurance?

The Peace Corps does not provide insurance coverage for personal effects; Volunteers are ultimately responsible for the safekeeping of their personal belongings. However, you can purchase personal property insurance before you leave. If you wish, you may contact your own insurance company; additionally, insurance application forms will be provided, and we encourage you to consider them carefully. Volunteers should not ship or take valuable items overseas. Jewelry, watches, radios, cameras, and expensive appliances are subject to loss, theft, and breakage, and in many places, satisfactory maintenance and repair services are not available.

Do I need an international driver’s license?

Volunteers in Namibia do not need an international driver’s license because they are prohibited from operating privately owned motorized vehicles. On very rare occasions, a Volunteer may be asked to drive a government vehicle, but this can occur only with prior written permission from the country director. Bring your U.S. driver’s license with you in case you find yourself in this situation.

What should I bring as gifts for Namibian friends and my host family?

This is not a requirement; a token of friendship is sufficient. Some gift suggestions include knickknacks for the house; pictures, books, or calendars of American scenes; souvenirs from your area; hard candies that will not melt or spoil; or photos to give away.

Where will my site assignment be when I finish training and how isolated will I be?

Peace Corps trainees are not assigned to individual sites until the second week of the training period. This gives the Peace Corps staff the opportunity to assess each trainee’s technical and language skills prior to assigning sites, in addition to finalizing site selections with their ministry counterparts. The primary factor in assigning sites is the match between the opportunities and interests at a site and the skills and interests of the Volunteer. The Peace Corps cannot guarantee placement where you would ideally like to be. Most Volunteers live in small towns or in rural villages. In the densely populated north of Namibia, you may be within an hour from another Volunteer. In the southern part, you may be two to four hours from the nearest Volunteer. Some sites require a 14+ hour drive from the capital.

How can my family contact me in an emergency?

The Peace Corps’ Office of Special Services provides assistance in handling emergencies affecting trainees and Volunteers or their families. Before leaving the United States, you should instruct your family to notify the Office of Special Services immediately if an emergency arises, such as a serious illness or death of a family member. The 24/7 number for the Office of Special Services is 1.800.424.8580, extension 1470. For nonemergency questions, your family can get information from your country desk staff at the Peace Corps by calling 1.800.424.8580.

Can I call home from Namibia?

Yes. Most telephones can be used for international calls. Volunteers often call home and, in a brief exchange, ask to be called back, or prearrange a time for someone to call them at a work phone or pay phone.

Should I bring a cellular phone with me?

Cellular phone service is growing in Namibia and is available in most rural areas where Volunteers serve. Fewer than 5 percent of currently serving Volunteers live in areas with no or poor cellphone coverage. Cellphones purchased in the United States are not likely to operate in country unless they are unlocked and are dual band. PC provides funds for you to purchase a local cellphone in Namibia as a safety measure.

Will there be e-mail and Internet access? Should I bring my computer?
Laptops can be useful for many Volunteers. When not out in communities and villages, much of the Volunteer’s work and day-to-day living will be in urban settings conducive to laptop use. Laptops can also be useful for education Volunteers, as most sites where you will be located do have electricity, though not necessarily Internet access. Volunteers use laptops to type assignments and tests, as well as to communicate with family and friends back in the States. Like with any valuable, however, it is advisable to exercise caution in storing the laptop safely.  A security cable is highly recommended and insurance coverage for the laptops and other valuables is advisable.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s